Monday, May 11, 2009

Want to vote on my One Line Hook?

The first question you are probably asking is "What is a One Line Hook?"

It is a one line summary of a manuscript.

The second question is most likely, "Why do you need one?"

It is a single sentence an Author uses to get a reader interested.

The third question, "What makes a good Hook?"

I found some great advice here: http://querytracker.blogspot.com/2009/04/dreaded-pitch-what-to-include-in-that.html

In short: The sentence must have the tone of the book, the genre targeted, and the plot. Three little words rolled up in to one sentence that should describe your 75k-90k word book.

There are so many different ways to go about writing your hook but honestly, I found the website mentioned above to be the best help yet.

So without further ado, here are 2 pitches and you have a chance to vote for your favorite!


When Seth, a young college student, is moved to a new world by his Guardian Angel, he is told he must find his One, his soul mate, in order to fulfill his calling, and at the same time learn to trust God’s will, instead of his own, but when he struggles to find her he demands to be sent back to Earth, forcing her to come to him.


When Seth, a young college student, is moved to a new world by his Guardian Angel, he learns that he must trust God’s will, instead of his own, in order to find his One, his soul mate, but when he struggles to find her he demands to be sent back to Earth, forcing her to come to him.

7 comments:

  1. While it sounds good, you still haven't won me over. Any more choices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Joanna's post! She is made of awesome. My vote? Do I vote here? I'd go with the second one, but cut the (instead of his own) and make "his One" just say "his soul mate."

    Like this: When Seth, a young college student, is moved to a new world by his Guardian Angel, he learns that he must trust God's will in order to find his soul mate, but when he struggles to find her he demands to be send back to Earth, forching her to find him.

    Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first one better. It seems to flow better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally, I'm working on it. I had an author friend look them over along with my synopsis and she is a Hook Master! Hope to get some good feedback!
    I'll post it when she hands them over.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elana, Thanks for the comment. I hope to get some more info from a friend. The title of the book is The One so I really would like to use it in my pitch, but there seems to be a different idea of who/what the "One" is. Gotta love how difficult it is to seperate your mind from your writing and place yourself into your readers brains. GRRRR ~Hey a good story idea!~

    I plan to work on the Hook and will post the finished product for you all to see and vote on.
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think the one line pitch needs to really be one senetence. I dont know if I understand what book is about. Is he searching for his soul mate? is book in new world or back on earth?

    Maybe...

    When Seth is taken to a new world by his Guardian Angel, he realizes he must have faith in God - more than himself - if he ever wants to find his soul mate.

    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete