Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Finding My Genre and Book Cataloging

When I wrote my book The One I never thought about the genre it would fit in. I knew that I wanted it to appeal to both my daughter (who is 14) and my friends (who are between 25-40ish. But when it came down to the story, I wanted a wholesome romance.

While writing I never thought about the other elements of the story and how it would affect where my book would be placed in a book store.

Imagine my shock when I was told it is a Sci/Fi! It has NO aliens, space ships, ray guns or other stuff like that, but it does have a new world that God created and they talk to their Guardian Angels (which would make it a Sci/Fi, Paranormal!).

I thought it was an Inspirational Romance. Plain and simple. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the extra lables much, it just makes it harder for me to market. Not every agent is willing to represent a Inspirational Romantic Paranormal Sci/Fi! So on my queries, I usually state that it is an Inspirational Romance with some Sci/Fi touches.

I have started paying attention to genre and how books are cataloged. I have been reading the inner flap on more and more books. There is a ton of info there about how the book is Cataloged in the Library of Congress.

For example, the book I just finished reading, Soul Tracker by Bill Myers has 5 catalog listings: Loss (Psychology)- Children, Death- Single Fathers- Teenage Girls- Future life. Amazing isn't it!

And another book I read was cataloged as: Missing Persons - Texas

The Noticer by Andy Andrews is cataloged as: Conduct of Life- Perspective (Philosophy)-Insight

I find this info so interesting.

So my question for you is: As an author, do you write with the genre or catalog placement in mind?

As a reader do you pay attention to genre, or do you read anything?

Have a wonderful evening!

1 comment:

  1. I tend to gravitate towards a certain genre, but didn't force it in my first manuscript. I'm not forcing it with my second, but I am paying more attention...women's fiction.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete