Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Spiritual ADD

WARNING: This may be a bit deep for a Wednesday- or any other day!

This morning while making breakfast, I found myself calling out to the Lord asking for His mercy. No, there is nothing specific I need mercy from, but I am feeling attacked on so many fronts: spiritually, mentally, financially, and in a few of my relationships. –relationshiply? Is that a word? Haha!-

(On Sunday Pastor Dan, at New Life Providence, spoke about the one prayer God ALWAYS answers: the prayer for Mercy. Let me tell you, I’m clinging to that prayer and the promise it holds.)

So, back to this AM; I’m praying hard for His mercy when He hits me in the forehead (He does this often and by now I should have a huge dent!).

“You have not been waiting on me,” He said.

As usual, He is right. I have not been waiting on Him.
Why? I believe I have Spiritual ADD. -I'm serious!

Some of the signs of Medically diagnosed Adult ADD are:

1. Fidgeting or squirming when I have to sit for a long time. –I can sit easily during Church or meetings, but in front of My Lord, I can’t just be.

2. Difficulty concentrating on what is said to me, even when someone is speaking to me directly? -Hugh Lord, what did you say again? Could you please repeat that?

3. Being distracted by activity or noise around me? -Was that my dog barking?

4. Feeling restless or fidgety? –Seriously Lord, You want me to be still?

5. Difficulty unwinding and relaxing when I have time to myself? –In my daily life relaxing is a joy, but in my spiritual time between myself and my Lord? I rarely feel relaxed and able to unwind in His presence.

6. Talking too much when I am in social situations? –Lord, let me tell you about this and that! -no snickering from the peanut gallery, I know I am talkative!-

7. Difficulty waiting my turn in situations when turn taking is required? -Lord, why did she get her prayer answered first?

8. Interrupting others when they are busy? –Thankfully my Lord is NEVER too busy for me, but I have been known to interrupt His process in my life.

There were MANY other questions on a test I found to help diagnose Adult ADD. It can be found here: http://www.addcoach4u.com/symptomsofadhd.html. The points listed above were the most convicting when applied to my Spiritual ADD.

The question I then posed to Him was, “What do I do about my Spiritual ADD? How do I change it?”

As I sat down with my breakfast, these questions were circling in my mind. I opened the devotional that I reviewed here, and wouldn’t you know that the Lord would again speak loud and clear, directly backing up what He was already saying. He is so wonderful, confirming what He wants to show me!

While there isn’t an Earthly cure to Spiritual ADD, I believe there is a Spiritual cure: Christ!

My Devotion started with, “Rest in Me, My child. Give your mind a break from planning and trying to anticipate what will happen… Ask My Spirit to take charge of this day...” WOW!

The scripture for the day was:
Psalms 62:5 GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
Wait calmly for God alone, my soul, because my hope comes from Him.
or
King James Bible
My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him.

As I come to Him, He will discipline my heart, mind, soul, spirit and body. I believe He will give me the peace I so long for in my walk with Him, thus curing my Spiritual ADD.
Thank you, Lord!

Now it’s your turn. Do you feel that you suffer or have suffered from Spiritual ADD?
What is He showing you about dealing with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment